Friday 12 October 2012

A Beach You Like


The first time I went to the beach in Chile was a special occasion because it was the first time I saw the Pacific Ocean. It must have been in October or November 1996 and I went with 2 Chilean friends, Rodrigo and Chelo. Rodrigo was a student of mine at UMCE and Chelo was his neighbour. They invited me on a trip to El Ouisco for the weekend. We left Santiago at about 6pm on a Friday evening so my first glimpse of the Pacific was actually from a bus on the coast road into Algarrobo. The beach in El Quisco isn't that attractive and the town was (is) quite run down. We spent the first evening on the beach drinking and chatting to other people who were also drinking and chatting and then spent the night in a kind of hostel that cost 2 lucas per person. As you can imagine, it was very basic. The next morning we took a local bus down the coast and went to the beach I'm going to talk about, Canelillo. The sensation was total different from El Quisco beach. Canelillo was a beautiful cove. Golden sands, pine trees running almost down to the waterline, deserted. It reminded me of something out of the Narnia books or Lord of the Rings.

I didn't have a swim suit, but it didn't matter because the water was way too cold for swimming. However, it was nice just to lie on the sand and soak up the rays of the sun. We spent the morning on the beach. As from 11 o' clock other people started to arrive with their deck chairs and their picnics so at about 1PM we walked back to El Quisco along the coast. It took about an hour but it was a nice walk. I’ve been back to Canelillo a number of times; the last time was about six months ago. Unfortunately, they built some apartments on one side of the bay which takes away some of its charm but it’s still a great beach, especially when it’s empty.

 

Write about a beach you like.

Say:

Where it is,

When you went there for the first time,

Who you went with,

What you did there,

Why you like it.

 

Write at least 300 words. Leave a post on your teacher’s blog and on the blogs of at least 3 classmates.

13 comments:

  1. That beach is one of the best that you can know!! Simply, is other ambient, more quiet and more magic, I say it because I know too that beach and is one of the most beautiful beaches that I have known :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. the beach in Chile is really beauty... I don't know Algarrobo but I imagine it's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went to Algarrobo sometime, but I never went to Canelillo and I heard that is an amazing beach, It's my prototype because I like woods and hidden things, more private and exclusive... some day I will go and I get into the water, I don't care if it is cold

    ReplyDelete
  5. El Canelo it's the best beach you can imagine when is empty, but I think if you are male you should be brave to swim here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, U don't have to me in the list :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the beach... I prefer Algarrobo, and Canelo and Canelillo beach are very beautiful. I like to walk to great white rock for the hill. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the Quisco beach, i went the last year and I have a good time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like El Canelo! is a great beach!

    ReplyDelete
  10. great beach mr simnon!! i always go to the canelillo in the summer !!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am not a big fan of beach xD I prefer the snow, field and cities c:

    ReplyDelete
  12. this beach is beautiful, i always go to algarrobo in the summer and always i visited this beach

    ReplyDelete
  13. i dont't like the beach...the sand makes me feel umconfortable... i prefer lakes or rivers.

    ReplyDelete